Welcome to the Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care at the Postgraduate Institute of Education and Research, Chandigarh.
The Specialty of Anaesthesia
Anaesthesia is an essential pre-requisite for many surgical and medical procedures, which cannot be done without it. However, there is an understandable fear of anaesthesia among many people since it is not therapeutic on its own and involves a gross modification of the functions of the body such as inducing unconsciousness, paralyzing the breathing and manipulation of the functions of the heart and other vital organs. It should, however, be realized that anaesthesia is administered by highly trained medical specialists whose primary concern is the safety of the patient during the stress and strain of invasive and traumatic surgical and other procedures. Over the last few decades the risks of anaesthesia have been markedly reduced by increased and improved understanding, teaching, training and research so that today the chances of dying from anaesthesia are smaller than the chances of dying in a road traffic accident.
In these days of advanced and modern medicine, the department caters to much more than operation theatres.The specialty of anaesthesia has rapidly diversified. Cardiac/ thoracic anaesthesia, neuro-anaesthesia, obstetric, paediatric anaesthesia, intensive care, pain, transplant, ambulatory ,and the specialist care of trauma are among the most widely known and there are increasing opportunities to separately qualify in each of these disciplines. In addition, simulation, outcomes research, airway management and perioperative care are emerging areas of focus.
About Anaesthesiology at PGIMER
The Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care at the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research is one of the largest departments in the Institute, which has over the years expanded from a nuclear family to a large joint family. It is one of the first departments since the inception of the institute.
Our learned predecessors in PGI, spared no efforts to evolve our department into one that befits the character of our national institute. Dr.Chanan Singh, Dr.G K Singh and Dr. S.Mehta were the pioneers and deserve due respects for bearing all the teething problems. Later, the department made a big leap forward under the leadership of Dr Hariwir Singh. The legacy is continued by Dr P. Chari, Dr J. Wig, Dr Y.K. Batra and Dr V.K.Grover who strived always and were successful in upgrading the facilities in the department to make it a world-class department. Presently, under the leadership of Dr. G.D.Puri, department is expanding rapidly and consolidating in the fields of cardiac anaesthesia, neuroanaesthesia, paediatric anaesthesia, trauma, critical care, transplant anaesthesia and pain services.
Over the years, along with the development of medical sciences, the department has set up its own high standards in patient care, education and research. All clinical departments are anchored to this specialty. Residents join this department from various parts of the country as well as from abroad. The department follows an integrated approach and standard protocols for patient care, education and research.
Conferences and Workshops
The department regularly organizes conferences both national & international, workshops and continuous medical education programs (CME) from time to time.
Upcoming Conferences & CME’s
- CME on Resussitation in trauma & perioperative care on 29th March 2018
Conferences & CME’s held:
- 12th Annual Perioperative and Critical Care EchoCardiography Workshop in collaboration with Society of Transesophagal Echocardiography(STE) 23-25 Feb. 2018
- DST-PGIMER Workshop on Innovation in Biomedical Instruments and Devices’ under the Chairmanship of Prof. G D Puri; was held on 7th July 2017
- CME on Paediatric Anaesthesia was held on 13th August 2017
- Update on Airway management was held on 20th May 2017
- Paediatric cardiac critical care was held on 24-25th March 2017
- ISNACC 2017- 18th Annual conference of Indian Society of Neuroanaesthesiology and critical care was held from 24th-26th February 2017
- 11th Perioperative and critical care echocardiography workshop TEEPGI-2017 was held from 3rd-5th March 2017
- 3rd Basic ECHO course 13th Nov 2016
- Symposium on Total Intravenous Anaesthesia [TIVA]- June 10th 2016
- Symposium on Pain Management in Paediatrics- April 9th 2016
- BLS-ACLS workshop –March 5th - March 7th 2016
- 10th Annual Peri-operative and Critical Care Trans-Esophageal Echocardiography Workshop -February 26th-28th2016
- 1st Workshop on USG guided nerve blocks-February 28th 2016
- 2nd Workshop on Basic Transthoracic Echocardiography-November 15th 2015
- 1ST Annual PGIMER-AIIMS Anaesthesia Symposium [APAAS] - September 6th 2015
- 7thPaediatric Anaesthesia National conference [PACON] - February 20th-22nd 2015
- 9th Annual Peri-operative and Critical Care Trans-Esophageal Echocardiography Workshop -February 27th-March 1st2015
- 2nd Workshop on USG guided nerve blocks-March 1st 2015
- 1st Workshop on Transthoracic Echocardiography-November 16th 2014
- Principles and Practice of Paediatric Pain- September 28th, 2014
- Perioperative Transplant Medicine: Focus on Inter-disciplinary Care- April 18th, 2014